THE DOVER CASTLE



ALPINE RATING: 8 OUT OF 10


43 WAYMOUTH MEWS, LONDON, W1G 7EH.
REGENTS PARK, GREAT PORTLAND STREET TUBE. OR CONTACT SHERLOCK HOLMES TO FIND THE VENUE. ELEMENTARY MY DEAR WATSON.......



THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THEN THE SWORD. A BRILLIANT QUOTE IF EVER THERE WAS ONE.
I THINK MORE DAMAGE HAS BEEN DONE OVER THE YEARS FROM WRITTEN WORDS THEN BATTLE ON MANY DIFFERENT PLAINS. IN FACT MUCH BATTLE HAS COMMENCED  BECAUSE OF WRITTEN  WORDS AND THIS IS A POLITICAL PATH I SHALL NOT STRAY DOWN. YOU GET THE POINT RIGHT?
I SHALL COME BACK TO THIS THEME A BIT LATER, 
YOU SEE.... IT ALL COMES TO BEAR..





THE RELATIONSHIP WITH THIS PUB HAS ALWAYS BEEN SLIGHTLY DOOMED.
LUCK HAS JUST NOT BEEN ON MY SIDE ON TWO VISITS.
THE FIRST TIME THE BATTERY DIED ON MY PHONE.
SO WHATS THE PROBLEM 'MAN IN THE BOX' I HEAR YOU SAY?
WELL.... JUST LOOK AT THE POOR RESOLUTION OF MY PHOTOS ON THIS BLOG. WHERE DO YOU THINK THEY COME FROM?
BY GEORGE I THINK HE'S GOT IT! HURRAH!
MY PHONE....
I ENJOYED A LOVELY PINT WITH MY LIFELESS PHONE AND TOOK IN THE PUBS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING INTERIOR!!




YOU SEE, IT'S THE INTERIOR THAT MAKES THIS BOOZER EVER SO SPECIAL. 'SPLENDID'.... YEP, THAT'S THE WORD THAT DESCRIBES THE ELOQUENT INSIDE.
THIS PUB IS DEFINITELY LIVED IN, THAT'S FOR SURE. 
THIS IS A PUZZLE TO ME.
 THIS PUB IS HIDDEN AWAY DOWN A MEWS. I HAD TO USE THE GOOGLE MAP TO FIND THIS PLACE. HENCE THE DEAD PHONE.
FINDING LORD LUCAN IN THE BEMUDA TRIANGLE WOULD BE A DAMN SIGHT EASIER...
IF VISITING BRING A COMPASS. IT'S SOUND ADVICE.




ENTERING THE PUB I WAS GREETED BY A VERY POLITE AMERICAN GIRL BEHIND THE BAR. SHE POURED MY DRINK WITH THE PRECISION OF A TOP SURGEON.
BEING AN AMERICAN I WOULD HAVE EXPECTED A 'HAVE A NICE DAYYY' AS I LEFT.. SHE DIDN'T THANK GOD.
TAKING IN MY PINT, I TOOK IN THE BEAUTIFUL INSIDE. THIS IS THE PUB FOR INTELLECTUAL FOLK. IT HAS BOOK SHELVES STACKED WITH OLD BOOKS SPORTING BROKEN SPINES. CRUSTY OLD BOOKS ABOUT GOD KNOWS WHAT... WRITTEN WHO KNOWS WHEN. MAYBE THEY ARE THERE JUST FOR SHOW! I CERTAINLY DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING BY JACKIE COLLINS. THE SHELVES ARE ALSO ADORNED WITH TRINKETS AND KNICK KNACKS. I THOUGHT OF ROGER MELLIE FROM VIZ WHEN HE PRESENTS THE ANTIQUES ROAD SHOW "SORRY I'M LATE. SOMEBODY IS HAVING A F**KING JUMBLE SALE OUT THERE"......
HOWEVER, THE BOOKS AND ODD BITS GIVE THE PLACE A CERTAIN AMBIANCE.
IT HAS ALL THE GOOD THINGS A SAMS PUB SHOULD HAVE.
I ALSO TOOK IN THE CONVERSATION TRANSPIRING AT THE BAR BETWEEN SOME NORTHERN CHAP IN HIS LATE 40'S AND THE YOUNG AMERICAN GIRL.
THE CHAP IN QUESTION WAS REGALING THE LADY WITH STORIES ABOUT WHEN HE LIVED IN THE AREA IN THE 1980'S.
JOKING ASIDE, IT WAS A GREAT CONVERSATION TO EARWIG.
OTHER SUBJECTS WERE DISCUSSED INCLUDING RUGBY BEING BETTER THEN FOOTBALL (CONCUR!), THE CHANGE OF MARYLEBONE OVER THE YEARS (INTERESTING, IT WAS ONCE A DUMP APPARENTLY) AND MODERN POLITICS (ALL GOOD VIEWS)... I WOULD HAVE STAYED LONGER. THE BEER WAS FAB, THE CONVERSATION TOP NOTCH. BUT I HAD TO MEET A FRIEND. SO I LEFT..
I MADE A SECOND VISIT.... OH DEAR, THE SECOND VISIT......

THE SECOND VISIT WAS DISASTROUS......
THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THEN THE SWORD...
ESPECIALLY WHEN IT DEPRIVES ME OF LAGER....




THERE WAS A NOTE WITH DODGY HANDWRITING ATTACHED TO THE DOOR. SOMETHING TO DO WITH 'MAINTANANCE' WORK.....
SO.... NO....... TADDY??..... HUH??? *QUIVERING TOP LIP*.... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

IT'S QUITE EVIDENT THAT THE COMPANY DOES NOT LIKE USING WORD PROCESSORS.

ALAS, OUR ROMANCE DOVER CASTLE, IS NOT TO BE.......
I SHALL ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU THOUGH.... WHEN I EAT DOVER SOLE, WHEN I CATCH A FERRY, WHEN I CLAMBER AROUND SCOTTISH RUINS....
WHENEVER I DIP A FEATHER INTO A POT OF INK.
YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY HEART.
IN FACT I HAVE WRITTEN YOU A LOVE LETTER..
MWAH XXXXXXXXXXX

SEE BELOW........










NO MATTER. THIS IS A CRACKING PUB.
A LOVELY PLACE OOZING PIZAZZ AND CHARACTER. A BEAUTIFUL STONE IN AN AREA THAT PERSONIFIES THE WORD 'GROTESQUE'........






JUST A BEER LIGHT TO GUIDE US................

No comments:

Post a Comment