THE ROBERT BROWNING



ALPINE RATING: 7 OUT OF 10



15 CLIFTON ROAD, LONDON, W9 1SY.
MAIDA WALE AND WARWICK AVENUE TUBE.


IF SAMUEL SMITH PUBS WERE PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALL CLUBS, THIS PLACE WOULD BE EVERTON. PERFECTLY FINE, BUT STILL PALING IN COMPARISON TO MAN UNITED (CITTIE OF YORKE), CHELSEA (FITZROY TAVERN) OR ARSENAL (THE EARL OF LONSDALE)...
STILL BETTER THEN FULHAM (THE BLUE POSTS)......

THIS TRULY IS A LOCALS PUB. THIS IS STRANGE IN AN AREA LIKE MAIDA VALE. NOT QUITE EXPECTED HERE OF ALL PLACES. PEOPLE SITTING ROUND THE BAR ON STOOLS. BANTERING AND JOKING. DOGS RUNNING AROUND SNIFFING EACH OTHER. IT'S ENCOURAGING TO SEE PUBS LIKE THIS. THE SWISS HAS A SIMILAR THING GOING ON WITH THE LOCALS. AND I LOVE THAT. MOST PUBS HAVE A COLD FEEL TO THEM. MAYBE IT'S SOMETHING TO DO WITH LONDON. WE'RE ALL MISERABLE BUGGERS AND DON'T LIKE PEOPLE TALKING TO US WHEN WE'RE DRINKING. IT'S RUMOURED THAT DAVID WALLIAMS AND GEORGE DAWS  (WHAT-ARE-THE-SCORES) AKA MATT LUCAS USED TO DRINK IN HERE. IT'S ALLEGED THEY GOT THE INSPIRATION FOR SOME OF THE CHARACTERS FROM LITTLE BRITAIN FROM THIS VERY FINE HOUSE OF ALE.
I CAN BELIEVE THIS TO BE TRUE *CHORTLE*
"NOW ANDY, YOU STHAID YOU LIKED TADDY! NOT SSTHOUT"..
WE'LL SAY NO MORE....

THE FLOOR LOOKS LIKE A CHESS BOARD. CHECKMATE.

I HAD TO CHECK IT OUT AS IT WAS SO CLOSE TO MY PROXIMITY REALLY. WHAT CAN I SAY... HMMMMMM, PRETTY GOOD. BUT LIKE THE MEANING OF LIFE, I HAVEN'T FIGURED THIS ONE OUT YET.
DO I LIKE THE ROBERT BROWNING? WELL THAT'S A SILLY QUESTION!! OF COURSE I LIKE IT! IT'S A SAMMY SMITH.
THE FIRST TIME I VISITED, IT WAS P***ING COLD OUTSIDE AND I SUSPECT THIS IS TRULY A SUMMER PUB. BUT I COULD BE WRONG HERE. I HAVE BEEN WRONG IN THE PAST. NOT OFTEN MIND YOU.. AND DON'T BRING UP THE TIME I WAS CAUGHT JUMPING UP AND DOWN IN BUCKET OF PIG S**T IN FRONT OF THE QUEEN AT THE ROYAL VARIETY SHOW. THAT WAS A MISUNDERSTANDING AND IT WAS SETTLED OUT OF COURT THANK YOU VERY MUCH. "THERE GOES MY KNIGHTHOOD"...
THERE SHALL BE NO PUB NAMED AFTER ME ANYTIME SOON. BUT I DIGRESS... HA! DON'T I ALWAYS, THAT'S WHY YOU BLOODY LOVE THE MAN IN THE BOX, OOOOPS, I DIGRESS ONCE MORE.....






ROBERT BROWNING WAS A POET. HE LIVED AROUND THE CORNER FROM THIS PUB ORIGINALLY. IT WAS RENAMED THE EAGLE  SOME YEARS AGO AND WHEN UNCLE SAM BOUGHT THIS FINE ESTABLISHMENT HE REVERTED THE NAME BACK. GOOD FOR YOU UNCLE SAM.


IT'S PRETTY NEAT, BUT THE LAYOUT IS QUITE ODD, I SHANT BOTHER TO EXPLAIN.

SO LETS GET DOWN TO BRASS TAXES. 
THE SERVICE ON THE TIMES I HAVE VISITED HAS BEEN FRIENDLY AND FAST. THE TADDY HAS BEEN IN TOP CONDITION ON THESE OCCASIONS. IT HAS PLENTY OF SEATING AND YET IT REMAINS REASONABLY COSY.
IT HAS A DARTBOARD AND A POOL TABLE ON EITHER SIDE OF THE BAR. 
SO IF YOUR A BUDDING BRISTOW OR STEVE DAVIS THEN THIS IS PERFECT. NOT MANY OTHER PLACES IN AND AROUND HAVE POOL TABLES OR ESPECIALLY DARTBOARDS, SO IT'S VERY UNIQUE FOR THAT.
IT HAS (SO I HEAR) A FANTASTIC RESTAURANT UPSTAIRS AND THE FOOD IS HIGHLY SPOKEN OFF. I HAVE PROMISED MYSELF I WILL VISIT FOR THE FOOD SOON.
THE STOUT AND ALE PIE IS 'THE MUSTARD' ACCORDING TO MY SOURCES!



ONCE AGAIN, IT HAS BEER MATS. SO IT GETS A DEFINITE THUMBS FOR THAT! 


NOWT WRONG THIS PUB. I SHALL BE VISITING AGAIN. IT'S IN MAIDA VALE.
IF A LOUD WELSH BIRD GIVES YOU THE ELBOW AT WARWICK AVANUE TUBE STATION THEN HEAD OVER THIS SPLENDID BOOZER TO DROWN YOUR SORROWS.
WELL DONE UNCLE SAM, ANOTHER VICTORY.....




THE OUTSIDE HAS LOVELY POT PLANTS, BRICKWORK AND OUTSIDE SEATING. MAIDA VALE IS AN AREA THAT PLEASANT ON THE EYE. WHEN THE SUN SHINES, SO DOES THE ROBERT BROWNING.









IT HAS THE BREWERY LOGO PRINTED INTO THE CORNER OF THE WINDOWS. EXCEPTIONAL OR WHAT!! LOOK CAREFULLY AND YOU CAN SEE MY REFLECTION NEXT TO THE WHITE ROSE OF YORKSHIRE!

REGARDS

THE MAN IN THE BOX

1 comment:

  1. Made my day man in a box,have joined a site sam smith info 99% of em moan I love Humphs London boozersso much i travel up from the east coast to take a beverage or two.can take or leave the ale but the pubs are wonderful personally i like the Rising Sun Smithfield its near to Liverpool St and a cracking pub no tvs music Humph is a hero let him know he,s a recluse bit like Smiley the spy needs a pat on the back. bacuzzi48

    ReplyDelete