THE ANGEL IN THE FIELD



ALPINE RATING: 7 OUT OF 10



37 THAYER STREET, MARYLEBONE, LONDON, W1U 2QY.
BOND STREET, BAKER STREET TUBE.





I LIKE THIS PUB. I HOPE PEOPLE IN THE LOCAL AREA LIKE IT TOO. I CAN IMAGINE THIS PLACE GOES DOWN A TREAT WITH THE AFTER WORK CROWD. IT'S VERY 'MARYLEBONE' THIS PLACE. 
OK, LET'S START FROM THE TOP, IT'S SMALL. BUT NOT CRAPPY SMALL. ANY ESTATE AGENT WOULD DESCRIBE IT AS 'COSY'.. AND IN THIS CASE THEY'D BE BANG ON THE MONEY.
IT HAS A RATHER STRANGE PUB SIGN. REAL KIND OF JACKSON POLLOCK STUFF. THE INSIDE IN THE DAYTIME IS AKIN TO DRINKING INSIDE A CHURCH. BUT IN A COOL WAY, NOT LIKE THE HOLY WATER BUBBLING LIKE A HOT KETTLE.


IT HAS ALL THE UNCLE SAM HALLMARKS AND IT HAS AN UPSTAIRS WHICH I DIDN'T GET A CHANCE TO SEE (I WAS HEADING TO THE DOVER CASTLE AFTER)...
IT HAS A VERY WELCOMING AMBIANCE. IT EVEN HAS A BLACKBOARD WITH AN ENCOURAGING MESSAGE SAYING SOMETHING TO THE EFFECT OF 'WORK IS OVER, DON'T WORRY! BE HAPPY'...
THE TADDY WAS SPOT ON.


SO WHAT MAKES THIS HOUSE OF UNCLE SAMS, A CUT ABOVE THE OTHERS?
GLAD YOU ASKED.
THE CUSTOMER SERVICE!
BY FAR THE BEST I'VE I HAVE RECEIVED ANYWHERE!!!
EVER.
A YOUNG IRISH GENTLEMEN TICKED EVERY BOX IMAGINABLE AND ASKED WHY I WASN'T STAYING FOR ANOTHER AS I LEFT FOR THE DOVER CASTLE!! AND I WANTED TO STAY FOR ANOTHER, BUT I'D BE LETTING YOU LOT DOWN NOW, WOULDN'T I?!!


SO WOULD I MAKE ANY IMPROVEMENTS TO THIS PUB? NO. SO 7 OUT OF 10? EXPLAIN!! THE PUB IS SMALL AND I IMAGINE A LIVING NIGHTMARE TO GET INTO AFTER 5. BUT WHAT CAN THEY DO ABOUT THAT? THEY'RE A VICTIM OF THEIR OWN SUCCESS!!! IT'S VERY TRADITIONAL. I'D LOVE TO SEE A DARTBOARD THOUGH. AND A BETTER PUB SIGN. THE WEIRDO ART DOESN'T DO IT FOR ME. I WANT A PICTURE OF AN ANGEL STANDING IN A CORN FIELD IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT. WITH GLOWING RED EYES. 'THE ANGEL IN THE FIELD'.. I SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN ARTIST, NOT WRITING ABOUT ALE HOUSES. I'D HAVE GIVEN DALI A RUN FOR HIS MONEY....

No comments:

Post a Comment